Sciene and Technology Curriculum
Science and Technology are of increasing importance and integral to our rapidly changing world. A student’s sense of wonder and curiosity about the natural and made world is fostered through actively engaging in the processes of Working Scientifically and Working Technologically. Through questioning and seeking solutions to problems, students develop an understanding of the relationships between science and technology and the significance of their contribution to and influence on society.
The study of Science and Technology enables students to develop a positive self-concept as learners, as well as confidence in and gain enjoyment from their learning. They become self-motivated learners through active participation in challenging and engaging experiences in order to develop innovative solutions.
The Science and Technology syllabus develops students' skills in thinking, investigating and problem-solving. It encourages knowledge and skill in scientific investigation through inquiry, design and applying technologies. Students pose questions, test ideas and develop and evaluate arguments based on evidence. Investigating through this KLA enables students to confidently respond to needs and opportunities when designing solutions relevant to science and technology in their lives.
The Knowledge and Understanding strands are:
- Natural Environment
- Made Environment
The Knowledge and Understanding sub-strands are:
- Physical World
- Earth and Space
- Living World
- Material World
- Built Environments
The aim of the Science and Technology K–6 Syllabus is to:
- Foster students' sense of wonder and expand their natural curiosity about the world around them in order to develop their understanding of, interest in, and enthusiasm for science and technology
- Develop students' competence and creativity in applying the processes of Working Scientifically and Working Technologically to appreciate and understand the Natural Environment and Made Environment
- Enhance students' confidence in making evidence-based decisions about the influences of science and technology in their lives
- Enable students to confidently respond to needs and opportunities when designing solutions relevant to science and technology in their lives.
Values and Attitudes
- Develop interest and positive, informed values and attitudes towards science and technology
- Recognise the importance and relevance of science and technology in their lives now and for the future.
Skills, Knowledge and Understanding
- Develop knowledge, understanding of and skills in applying the processes of Working Scientifically
- Develop knowledge, understanding of and skills in applying the processes of Working Technologically
- Develop knowledge of the Natural Environment through understanding about the Physical World, Earth and Space and Living World
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the Natural Environment and the Made Environment through the Material World
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the Made Environment through Built Environments, Information and Products.